The Prescription Committee’s key role is to oversee the operation of the procedures for prescription of qualifications. It also considers and develops policies relating to the prescription of qualifications.
In addition, the Committee has a responsibility to oversee matters relating to ARB’s Prescribed Examinations and the Competency Standards Group. Membership should consist of no fewer than three lay members and two architect members. The Committee has discretion to extend its membership to include non-Board members.
Current members of the Committee are:
Alice Hynes (Chair of the Committee)
Emeritus Professor ADH Crook
Des Fagan (Independent Adviser)
Wendy Colvin (Independent Adviser)
Terms of Reference and Membership of the ARB Prescription Committee
Effective from 6 January 2019
The membership should consist of the following:
- At least four members; plus
- A further member to act as Chair; plus
- A member of the Committee’s Pool of Independent Advisers (who will be an ex-officio member of the Committee)
- The Board may appoint an external individual to act as Chair of the Commitee for a period of up to one year where the Board does not have the necessary skills base
The Chair of the Board will not be a member of the Committee.
The Chair of the Committee has the ability to reserve the right to add further Independent Advisers to the membership as and when the Committee’s workload requires it or where the quorum cannot be achieved for any given item at one of the Committee’s meetings. This should be at the discretion of the Chair of the Committee but notified to the Board for information through the Committee’s Minutes.
The quorum of the Prescription Committee should not be less than half the number of members of the Committee*, one of whom must be a lay member of the Committee and one of whom must be an architect member of the Committee.
Where the Chair of the Committee has co-opted one of the Committee’s Independent Advisers on to the Committee for the relevant meeting and for the purposes of considering applications for prescription, that co-opted individual shall be considered as a full member of the Committee for the relevant item/s.
*In the event where the Committee might consist of an odd number of members, the quorum should be rounded up to be more than half, i.e., if there are seven members, the quorum would need to be four members etc.
Frequency of Meetings
The Committee will meet at least eight times per year. Additional meetings can be called by the Committee Chair at any time, giving 14 days’ notice.
Terms of Reference
To oversee the implementation of the Procedures for Prescription and, in so far as provided in them, to perform any functions given to it, and, on behalf of the Board, to take any decision or to make any agreement required in relation to the Prescription Process up to and including paragraph 2.9 for new applications; and paragraph 6.2 up to and including 8.5 for applications to renew prescription. To oversee matters relating to the ARB’s Prescribed Examinations and the Competency Standards Group.
Regulation on Authority (agreed by the ARB Board on 22 November 2012)
- The Prescription Committee is authorised to exercise any of the functions of the Board set out in the Prescription Procedures up to and including paragraph 2.9 for new applications; and paragraph 6.2 up to and including 8.5 for applications to renew prescription.
- The Chair of the Prescription Committee is authorised to act on behalf of that Committee in respect of any of its functions (whether under paragraph 1 above or otherwise) if in their opinion it is necessary to do so before the next meeting of the Committee and it is not practicable to obtain the views of members of the Committee.
- Any action taken under paragraph 2 above shall be reported as soon as practicable to members of the Committee.