The Operational Management Group (OMG) is headed by the Registrar and is responsible for managing and overseeing all aspects of ARB’s operations.
Karen Holmes, Registrar and Chief Executive
Rob Jones, Head of Registration
Emma Matthews, Head of Qualifications & Governance
Marc Stoner, Head of Finance and Resources
Simon Howard, Head of Professional Standards
The purpose of the Operational Management Group (OMG) is to manage the operations of the Architects Registration Board (ARB) to facilitate ARB’s effective delivery of the Board’s purpose and objectives.
The members of the OMG are:
Registrar and Chief Executive
Head of Registration
Head of Qualifications & Governance
Head of Professional Standards
Head of Finance & Resources
The Communications Lead attends meetings by invitation. The Executive Assistant also attends on request to record action points.
Meetings and Procedures
Short diary and planning meetings are held at the beginning of each week. These meetings are intended for information sharing, raising issues of consistency on staffing matters where they are time critical and dealing with any urgent decisions needed by the group. Reports to the group are targeted on external involvement in events or the progress of work within ARB.
The OMG also meets monthly to discuss relevant matters in more detail. This meeting is divided into two sessions: firstly covering, more general operational matters, followed by confidential HR and other issues. The OMG agenda includes a number of standing items, and members are invited to add relevant items in advance of the meeting.
The Registrar and Chief Executive, or in her absence another member of the OMG, chairs all meetings.
The Team Secretary will record brief action points of the monthly meetings, supplemented by any note taken of the confidential session by one of the managers present and nominated to do so. When agreed by the group, the notes will be circulated to staff.
Roles and functions
The OMG has the following roles and functions:
- To advise the Registrar and Chief Executive on policy matters, including HR policies and remuneration issues to be considered by the Remuneration Committee
- To prepare and recommend to the Board the Business Plan, Budget, risk strategy and changes to resources
- To manage risk within ARB
- To manage the implementation of ARB’s single equality scheme
- To ensure ARB’s compliance with the Department for Communities and Local Government Framework Agreement
- To manage the delivery of the Business Plan within budget
- To manage the Board’s agenda of work
- To share information in order to ensure that ARB is working as a unified, well-informed unit
- To deliver and ensure the consistent operation of:
- HR policies and remuneration
- Staff welfare
- Performance management and performance indicators
- To respond to major incidents affecting the delivery of ARB’s operations
- To support the development of the OMG members as individuals and as a group
- To consider any issue relating to the smooth running of ARB’s business.
In fulfilling the group’s terms of reference, the group will take decisions collectively, but may reach a view by majority vote. However, where decisions rest with the Registrar under statute or under the scheme of decision making, the Registrar may take the decision alone having taken the advice of the group into account.
OMG diary meetings are not minuted. Where any decisions or precedents on HR matters are agreed at any OMG meeting, the Head of Finance and Resources will note the discussion/decision for future reference.
OMG monthly meetings are recorded by action points. Once agreed, these are distributed to staff, who may then raise any points for discussion at staff meetings. OMG members are responsible for actioning any outcomes in their own area of responsibility.
Whilst action points are circulated to staff and are not confidential, discussions within the group should generally be regarded as confidential to ensure that those present can speak freely before a decision is taken.