ARB Board Member Vacancies – Permanent Appointments
The Secretary of State for the Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government (MHCLG) is seeking to appoint two non-executive members to the Architects Registration Board (ARB).
The closing date for applications is 23.00 on Wednesday 8 April 2020.
ARB was established in 1997 by the Architects Act and regulates over 42,000 architects. The Act defines the ARB’s role, the primary features of which are:
- Prescribing – or ‘recognising’ – the qualifications needed to become an architect
- Keeping the UK Register of Architects
- Ensuring that architects meet our standards for conduct and practice
- Investigating complaints about an architect’s conduct or competence
- Making sure that only people on our Register offer their services as an architect
- Acting as the UK’s Competent Authority for architects
About the Role
Board members have a responsibility to:
- contribute to the Board’s overall strategic direction in line with its statutory objectives and functions;
- establish and build effective and constructive working relationships with the Executive, as they are held to account for delivering agreed strategic objectives;
- support the Executive, whilst respecting the boundaries which exist between the roles;
- contribute to the Board’s decision making process, taking proper account of the Architects Act 1997, ARB’s governance requirements, as well as any relevant guidance provided by the responsible government department;
- contribute to ensuring that the Board operates and exercises its functions in accordance with the highest standards of conduct and probity, and established good practice in decision making and that this is appropriately and effectively reviewed;
- deliver high standards of regularity and propriety;
- model the values and inclusive culture of the ARB;
- maintain regular contact with the Chair and develop and maintain open and supportive relationships with them;
- contribute to ensuring that the work of the Board and its members is reviewed and is working effectively;
- abide by the Code of Practice for Board members which is consistent with the Cabinet Office Model Code; and
- participate in appropriate reviews of their performance, relevant training and development and in the development of their own objectives.
- A proven understanding and experience of supporting confidence in public services and a commitment to consumer protection
- The ability to work effectively with the Executive to challenge, support and hold the Executive to account for the delivery of the organisation’s strategic aims and objectives
- The ability to contribute constructively to collective decision-making processes, respecting and listening to others and earning the respect of colleagues; and
- A strong commitment to good governance, and of upholding the recognised principles of public life, and a commitment to equality, diversity and inclusion
- For the architect vacancy, applicants must be registered on the ARB Register. They must be actively engaged in practice.
- For the lay vacancy, applicants must have experience of the development and implementation of strategy in complex environments, as well as cross regulatory/business experience.
- Non-executive director experience and/or experience of chairing a committee
- Experience of contributing to an organisation operating in a political/legislative environment
Following updated Government advice to protect people from the threat posed to public health by the Coronavirus, the ARB information session planned for prospective board member applicants on 19 March 2020 has been cancelled.
We have prepared some information for anyone interested in applying for the advertised roles and are also offering the opportunity for a conversation about any aspects of the board member vacancies . To receive the information pack or to arrange a conversation please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org.
To view the full application pack and to apply for the position, please use the ‘Apply’ link below, which will take you to the Public Appointments website.