Select Page

ARB Brexit FAQs

 Statement: Brexit and Article 50

These ARB Brexit FAQs were reviewed and updated on 3 April 2017, following the UK government’s Article 50(2) notification of intent to leave the European Union. Further updates will be provided from time-to-time when we know more about developments.

The Architects Registration Board (ARB) will continue to operate based on its existing statutory remit as specified in the Architects Act 1997.

We await information from the government, through our sponsoring Department, the Department for Communities and Local Government, who will notify us of any changes that may need to be made to our role and remit in the future.

We recognise that you may have questions about what this means for you, so have put together a short set of frequently asked questions (FAQs) which we hope explain our current position.


Q: Have any  registration policies changed following the outcome of the referendum?

A:. As it stands, no changes have been made in relation to the Architects Act 1997 which underpins the work we do, or to any of our policies.

Q: I am an EU national who wants to register with ARB. Am I still able to?

A: As it stands, there have been no changes to the Architects Act 1997 and therefore no changes to our registration process. As was the case before the referendum, if you are an EU national, and your qualifications are covered by the Professional Qualifications Directive (2005/36/EC) and you have access to the profession of architect in your home member state, you will be eligible to apply for registration. Please see the link below for further instruction on how to apply:

The same principles will apply to those with other enforceable EC rights.
Q: I would like to study architecture in another EU member state. Will I be able to join the Register on my return to the UK?

A: As it stands, nothing has changed. There is provision under European Legislation for mutual recognition of qualifications within the EEA which applies to qualifications listed in Directive 2005/36/EC. This means that currently if you obtain a qualification that is listed in the Directive and you have access to the profession in the EU member state in which you qualified, you are eligible to apply to join ARB’s Register.


Q: I am an EU/EEA national currently on the Register. Has the outcome of the referendum changed my registration status?

A: As it stands, the registration status of anyone on our register has not changed because of the outcome of the referendum.


Q: I am an architect who qualified in the UK with a UK passport. Can I still apply to join registers in other EU member states?

A: There has been no change to the status of UK qualifications or passports in other EU member states.

If your qualification is recognised by ARB, it will still be covered by the Professional Qualifications Directive (2005/36/EC) meaning it is recognised in other member states and you should have access to join their registers. UK nationals can still move freely around the EU using their UK passports.

We recommend that you contact the competent authority in the country you want to register in if you want to know more about their processes. Below is a link providing details of the competent authorities in other EU member states:



Q: I am a UK national currently on the register in another EU member state. What does this mean for me?

A: We advise that you contact the competent authority you are registered with to find out their position.

However, as it stands, UK qualifications are still recognised in other EU member states and people with UK passports still have the freedom to establish as architects in other EU member states until further notice.

Q: I hold no-EU or UK qualifications but want to register with ARB. How does the referendum affect me?

A: As it stands the outcome of the EU referendum will not affect your route to registration. ARB does not automatically recognise any qualifications from outside the United Kingdom, other than those covered by the Professional Qualifications Directive (2005/36/EC). If you have obtained qualifications from outside the EU,  please see the link below for how you can apply:

Q: Will ARB be able to directly recognise qualifications from outside of the EU in due course?

A: ARB does not presently enter into agreements with countries outside of the European Union as agreements must be negotiated at EU level. As matters stand, nothing has changed.


Q: I am an EU national and want to become a member of the RIBA. Can I still do so?

A: RIBA is a separate organisation. You can find out how to become a member of the RIBA on their website:


3 April 2017.

Share This