Under Rule 5 of the Investigations Rules the Registrar (in consultation with the Investigations Panel), may appoint an Inquirer to provide advice in respect of an allegation of unacceptable professional conduct and/or serious professional incompetence.
The Inquirer may be asked to:
- Provide advice and guidance to ARB in relation to architectural aspects of a case;
- Carry out further investigation such as (but not limited to):
- Carrying out a site visit;
- Inspecting papers or records in situ;
- Interviewing parties;
- Advising whether additional expertise is required;
- Submit a report on their findings;
- Present their evidence to the Professional Conduct Committee.
Further details about the role of an Inquirer is set out in the Inquirers’ Terms of Reference.
General Terms of Reference for members of the Inquiry Panel
- Inquirers will be appointed by the Board for an initial term of three years, which may be renewed at the Board’s discretion.
- It is the role of an Inquirer to provide the Registrar or Investigations Panel with advice in respect of an allegation of unacceptable professional conduct and/or serious professional incompetence.
- Instructions will be provided by the Registrar or Investigations Committee on a case-by-case basis, and may involve visiting a project and interviewing parties to a complaint.
- Inquirers will be required to provide advice in writing and, where possible, within the timescales and cost-limits set down by the Board.
- If the complaint is referred to the Professional Conduct Committee (PCC) the Inquirer may be required to attend the hearing to give evidence. In such circumstance the Inquirer’s duty is to assist the PCC, not to advance the Board’s case.
- The ARB will provide feedback to Inquirers at the end of each instruction.
- Inquirers are individually responsible for maintaining the confidentiality of the documents and information provided to them.
- All material generated by Inquirers is subject to Data Protection and Freedom of Information legislation.
The current membership of the Inquiry Panel is: