BA (Hons) Architecture
Board at its meeting of 19 November 2015 decided that the Open University/Hull School of Art and Design’s BA (Hons) Architecture should be prescribed for the period from 30 January 2016 until 31 October 2019* under section 4(1)(a) of the Architects Act 1997 for the purposes of entry onto the United Kingdom Register of Architects.
Prescription of the qualification is subject to the standard conditions set out in Sections 5.4 and 5.5 of the Board’s procedures, namely:
- The period of prescription shall commence on 30 January 2016 (and expire on 31 October 2019).
- Prescription of the qualification shall be by reference to the programme specification, submitted with the application of 7 April 2015, for the Open University/Hull School of Art and Design’s BA (Hons) Architecture. No change may be made to the title of any course or qualification or substantial change to the content so defined within that programme specification (allowing for a normal course development) without first obtaining the written permission of the Board.
- Annually by 31 January each year, commencing on 31 January 2016, the institution is required to provide the Board with information of the nature set out in Appendix 2 of its procedures to enable the Board to see that i. all its criteria and the relevant requirements set out in Article 46 (or Article 47) of the Mutual Recognition of Professional Qualifications Directive [2005/36/EC] are being attained by students who have been awarded the qualification prescribed; ii adequate systems are in place to ensure that all the Board’s criteria will be met by students/candidates for the period of prescription; iii. that the institution’s resources remain as set out in its application and are adequate; and iv. all of the factors referred to at paragraphs 6.6 and 6.7 of the procedures continue to be demonstrated; and
- The institution will ensure that appropriate procedures will be maintained so that all students undertaking a prescribed qualification are fully informed of the extent of the application of that qualification to entitlement to registration as an architect in circumstances in which the student/candidate lacks a required antecedent qualification e.g. Part 2 withouth Part 1.
The Board was confident that:
- the course proposals, including the educational aims, the intended learning outcomes, the assessment criteria etc., have been designed with the clear aim of ensuring that all those who receive the qualifications meet all the criteria;
- the institution has adquate systems in place to ensure that candidates awarded the qualifications meet all the criteria; and
- The institution has adequate resources to maintain and where appropriate increase the achievements of candidates in meeting the criteria.
*The Board agreed to revoke prescription effective from 31 October 2019.