Bachelor of Architecture with Honours
The Board, at its meeting of 19 July 2018, decided that University of Glasgow / Glasgow School of Art’s Bachelor of Architecture with Honours (four years, full-time) qualification should be prescribed until 30 September 2021 under section 4(1)(a) of the Architects Act 1997 for the purposes of entry onto the United Kingdom Register of Architects.
Prescription of the above qualification is subject to the standard conditions set out in Section 9.0 of the Board’s procedures, namely:
- University of Glasgow / Glasgow School of Art’s Bachelor of Architecture with Honours (four years, full-time) qualification should be prescribed for the period 30 September 2018 to 30 September 2021;
- Prescription of the qualification shall be by reference to the programme specification, submitted with the application of 1 December 2017, for the Bachelor of Architecture with Honours (four years, full-time) qualification. No change may be made to the title of any course or qualification or substantial change to the content so defined within that programme specification (allowing for normal course development) without first obtaining the written permission of the Board;
- Annually by 31 January each year, commencing on 31 January 2019, the institution will be required to provide the Board with information of the nature set out in Appendix 2 of its procedures to enable the Board to see that i. all its criteria and the relevant requirements set out in Article 46 (or Article 47) of the Mutual Recognition of Professional Qualifications Directive [2005/36/EC] are being attained by students/candidates who have been awarded the qualification prescribed; ii. adequate systems are in place to ensure that all the Board’s criteria will be met by students/candidates for the period of prescription; iii. that the institution’s resources remain as set out in its application and are adequate; and iv. all of the factors referred to at paragraphs 6.6 and 6.7 of the procedures continue to be demonstrated; and
- The institution will ensure that appropriate procedures will be maintained so that all students undertaking a prescribed qualification are fully informed of the extent of the application of that qualification to entitlement to registration as an architect in circumstances in which the student/candidate lacks a required antecedent qualification e.g. Part 2 without Part 1.
In addition to the standard conditions of prescription, the Board decided that the following additional conditions of prescription would be applicable to the qualifications under section 8.6 of the Board’s procedures:
- The Board had sight of the action plan the School submitted as part of its application for prescription and noted that the re-opening of the Mackintosh Building was a key element in the School’s future strategy. Due to the latest fire in the Mackintosh Building, the Board agreed that the School should provide an update within each year’s annual monitoring submission as to how it is mitigating the impact of the fire on its provision of resources and to demonstrate that it has adequate resources to ensure that the relevant ARB Criteria will be met by all students for the period of prescription.
The Board’s Reasons
The Board was confident that:
- all students who had been awarded the qualification since prescription of the qualification was last renewed had met all the ARB criteria;
- the institution had adequate systems in place to ensure that students awarded the qualification met all the criteria; and
- the institution should be able to maintain its ability to ensure that all students awarded the qualification met all the criteria.