Master of Architecture (MArch)
Prescribed until 30 September 2020
The Board, at its meeting of 13 May 2016, decided that the above qualification should continue to be prescribed until 30th September 2020 under section 4(1)(a) of the Architects Act 1997 for the purposes of entry onto the United Kingdom Register of Architects.
The renewal of prescription is subject to the standard conditions set out in Section 9.0 of the Board’s procedures, namely:
- The University of Brighton’s Master of Architecture (MArch) should be prescribed for the period between 1 October 2016 and 30 September 2020;
- Prescription of the qualification shall be by reference to the Programme Specification, submitted with the application of 30 November 2015, for the University of Brighton’s Master of Architecture (MArch). No change may be made to the title of any course or qualification or substantial change to the content so defined within that programme specification (allowing for normal course development) without first obtaining the written permission of the Board;
- Annually by 31 January each year, commencing on 31 January 2017, the Institution will be required to provide the Board with information of the nature set out in Appendix 2 of its procedures to enable the Board to see that i. all its criteria and the relevant requirements set out in Article 46 (or Article 47) of the Mutual Recognition of Professional Qualifications Directive [2005/36/EC] are being attained by students/candidates who have been awarded the qualification prescribed; ii. adequate systems are in place to ensure that all the Board’s criteria will be met by students/candidates for the period of prescription; iii. that the institution’s resources remain as set out in its application and are adequate; and iv. all of the factors referred to at paragraphs 6.6 and 6.7 of the procedures continue to be demonstrated; and
- The institution will ensure that appropriate procedures will be maintained so that all students undertaking a prescribed qualification are fully informed of the extent of the application of that qualification to entitlement to registration as an architect in circumstances in which the student/candidate lacks a required antecedent qualification e.g. Part 2 without Part 1.
In addition to the standard conditions of prescription, the Board decided that the following additional condition of prescription would be applicable to the qualifications under Section 8.6 of the Board’s procedures:
- The institution must notify the Board when it has completed the recruitment of a new Head of School and Deputy Head of School, confirming the appointees and the date on which their appointments take effect.
The Board can be confident that:
- all students who had been awarded the qualification since the prescription of the qualification was granted had met all the ARB criteria;
- The institution had adequate systems in place to ensure that students awarded the qualification met all the criteria; and
- The institution should be able to maintain its ability to ensure that all students awarded the qualification met all the criteria.